It’s the yummiest time of the year at Knott’s Berry Farm! Boysenberry Festival is the annual food-inspired event that celebrates the berry that started it all–the boysenberry! There are over 75 boysenberry themed food items, many of them brand new for 2019! For the best value, be sure to pick up the the tasting card ($35 for 8 tastings). There are 14 different tasting card food items to choose from. We were invited to Knott’s Berry Farm to try out the boysenberry tasting card items, and here are our top picks for picky kids:
Boysenberry Sausage on a Bun
- Grilled Boysenberry Sausage on a Boysenberry Bun, can top with boysenberry ketchup, relish and mustard
- located outside of the Wilderness Dance Hall in Ghost Town behind the Red School House
- Why your kids will love it: not spicy at all, slightly sweet, good basic “kid food” (who doesn’t like a hot dog!)
- ADULT TIP: This is also where the majority of the beer and wine tasting is located. You can also purchase the tasting cards here.
Boysenberry BBQ Chicken Skewers with Boysenberry Aoli (NEW!)
- Two generous pieces of grilled chicken served on a skewer. KID TIP: ask for all the sauces on the side just in case you have a kid who prefers to dip
- located near the Funnel Cake place by the Stunt Show. The line for this tends to be long, and it usually wraps around the model Mission building area
- Why your kids will love it: not spicy, juicy chicken, lightly sweet flavor
Boysenberry Jerk Chicken Wings (NEW!)
- 4 fried chicken wings. KID TIP: ask for the sauce on the side
- located outside of Spurs restaurant near the wooden roller coaster Ghostrider
- Why your kids will love it: with the sauce on the side, it’s basically fried chicken! Dip it in the boysenberry sauce as desired.
Boysenberry Glazed Salmon over mixed greens with a boysenberry vinaigrette (NEW!)
- mixed greens topped with blueberries and a small piece of salad. KID TIP: ask for all sauces on the side
- located inside Spurs restaurant by Ghostrider
- Why your kids will love it: LittleSage ate all the blueberries out of the salad. My kids like seafood so they enjoyed the salmon dry without the blueberry vinaigrette.
- ADULT TIP: There is a ton of tables in air conditioned seating at this location
Boysenberry Pot Roast served with Boysenberry Mashed Potatoes (NEW!)
- Tender pot roast served with purple boysenberry mashed potatoes and carrots
- located inside Spurs restaurant (same place as the Salmon salad)
- Why your kids will love it: the meat was very tender and easy to eat. The purple mashed potatoes are super fun and LittleGray said she liked this the most!
Desserts: Boysenberry Waffle and Boysenberry Cinnamon Tortilla chips served with Boysenberry Ice Cream (NEW!)
- The Boysenberry waffle is a hefty doughy waffle with the perfect amount of crunch and chew. It says it’s served with Maple Cream Cheese sauce, but I ordered the sauce on the side and it looked like just boysenberry sauce.
- The Boysenberry Cinnamon Tortilla chips are bright purple and are served alongside boysenberry soft serve. If you want just boysenberry ice cream, visit the ice cream stand by the saloon.
- Both of these desserts are located right outside the Ghost Town Bakery (near Ghost Rider). You can order both at the same window.
Things that sound kid-friendly, but are secretly very spicy
- Boysenberry Habanero Mac n Cheese–you’ll be drawn in by the “mac n cheese” but don’t do what I did and completely overlook the “habanero”.
- Boysenberry Jambalaya with Sausage and Chicken–this dish (located at Wagon Wheel Pizza) is SUPER recommended for adults, but it was a little smokey and spicy for the girls’ liking
Kid-Friendly Meal Plan Options
There are a ton of seasonal Boysenberry Meal Plan options! The girls’ favorites were the Boysenberry Chicken Fries (served with Boysenberry BBQ sauce and ranch, available at La Papa Loca in Fiesta) and the Boysenberry Grilled Cheese basket (served with fries at the Grizzly Creek Lodge in Camp Snoopy). We’re also excited to try the BBQ Pulled Pork Fries at Sutter’s Fry (by the Stunt Show entrance) and the Boysenberry BBQ Chicken Cheddar Pizza slice (at Hollywood Hit’s by Charles M Schulz Theater).